As I packed for a short trip to the Colorado Rocky Mountains to visit some family this weekend, I realized that I always grab the same few products no matter if I’m travelling a long distance or having a staycation, or if I’m headed to a glam destination or a low-key getaway. I like to keep my baggage light, so these must-have travel beauty items are multitaskers: great for an instant refresh after arrival, helping me create a variety of makeup looks, and keeping my routine feeling familiar when traveling in new locations.
- Let’s face it, hair gets messy when you’re sleeping on a plane, and sometimes there’s just not easy access to a shower when you’re hostel jumping. The Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo is a lifesaver for reviving flat style and taking care of greasy roots, and it’s also a great styling product. I love using it on freshly-washed and styled hair to give it a little volume and texture. It also comes in a 1oz size perfect for carrying through airport security!
- Naked2 Basics is my favorite sleek little palette that can take care of all your eye shadow needs for any duration of trip and any event you may end up attending. The versatility of these six shades to provide endless looks combined with the small size of the palette itself make it perfect for travel.
- This little tin of Rosebud Salve is seriously functional when away from your medicine cabinet. It’s a great lip balm, but can also be used for other random dry spots, on minor burns if you miss a spot of sunscreen, on cuticles, and to tame flyaways.
- Having a good base for your makeup is essential, especially if you want it looking fresh after a full day of travelling or walking around a hot city. My essential travel primer is Benefit’s Stay Flawless. I love that it’s a stick for targeted application, and I actually like the almost tacky consistency. It’s a little heavier than my everyday primer, but it has kept my makeup looking light and freshly applied through overnight flights and into nice dinners after hot days spent walking around.
- One thing I can always count on while away from home is my face breaking out, whether it’s from a different climate or being covered in sunscreen all day. The Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel is my skin-saver when skin issues pop up on the road. Using them is like wiping off the top layer of skin to reveal a new glowing layer. And you can buy them individually wrapped!